Sunday, January 24, 2010

Worshipping in Dunedin

Today I worshipped at the church I think will be my new parish - St John's Roslyn.
The vicar for the next few weeks (he is to become Bishop of Dunedin) is Kelvin Wright.
He usually puts his sermon on the web so I will link if it appears. I am always nervous in repeating a sermon, I did not take notes.
However in preaching on the Gospel Luke 4: 14-21 he pointed out that Jesus in reading from Isaiah 61, Jesus stopped before the words "and the day of vengeance of our God".
Kelvin claimed it was fear that caused the people to then try to kill Jesus.
He went on to claim it was fear of homosexuality that was causing divisions in the worldwide Anglican church and pointed out that while there were 5 verses in the Bible which directly prohibit homosexuality, there were 26(?may have been 25 or 27 - I did not write it down) verses prohibiting usury. Yet he and probably every adult present was involved in usury (lending money for interest) and it had been the cause of the Global Financial Crisis. I felt like yelling out "and the reason for the Diocese of Sydney losing millions" Of course I did not.
Kelvin stressed the words of Jesus to Nicodemus - John 3:17
" For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world should be saved through him"
I felt Kelvin's words were a sign to me that I have done the right thing in moving from Sydney to Dunedin.

I have previously posted that Kelvin has said he is not willing at the moment to ordain another same-sex partnered man as a priest in Dunedin (there is already one) but it is not because of his condemnation of homosexuality but his unwillingness to upset weaker brethren.
Have to rush to inspect houses now so will post more of an update on my move later.

8 comments:

motheramelia said...

Sounds like you've found a welcoming church. Hope the house hunting goes well and that you're in your own place soon.

Malcolm+ said...

St. John's Roslyn was one of the webites I linked to on the blog for my confirmation calss a couple of years ago.

Leonard said...

Nice, really nice.

Best to you in your adventures,

Leonardo

toujoursdan said...

Welcome to your new home!

Birdie said...

Thank you for updating us in the midst of all the flurry of moving! I'm glad you've found a church home. Now find a home for the rest of the week.

Anonymous said...

Sounds very positive Brian. It's a bit strange seeing you on Unthinking Anglicans with the NZ flag beside your link!
Anyway all the best.

Sydney sider

Anonymous said...

Here's hoping you feel at home in a warm, welcoming Church. God Bless your future.

Alcibiades said...

Great news Brian!
Our thoughts and prayers are all with you, and it looks like you've been brought to a wonderful home indeed.