Sunday, December 21, 2008

Aussie Christmas 2

On a more serious level. I have always loved the Australian Christmas Carols written in 1948 by John Wheeler and William G. James. I remember first singing them when I was in the junior church choir in the 50's. It is hard to find the music online due to copyright.
I have found the wonderful Australian soprano Yvonne Kenny singing the five best known but embedding is not allowed.
My favourite is the third one she sings.
The fourth one sung is known as Carol of the Birds
  1. Out on the plains the brolgas are dancing
    Lifting their feet like warhorses prancing
    Up to the sun the woodlarks go winging
    Faint in the dawn light echoes their singing
    Orana! Orana! Orana to Christmas Day.

  2. Down where the tree ferns grow by the river
    There where the waters sparkle and quiver
    Deep in the gullies bell-birds are chiming
    Softly and sweetly their lyric notes rhyming
    Orana! Orana! Orana to Christmas Day.

  3. Friar birds sip the nectar of flowers
    Currawongs chant in wattle tree bowers
    In the blue ranges lorikeets calling
    Carols of bush birds rising and falling
    Orana! Orana! Orana to Christmas Day.



Brolga :
A red-headed grey crane (Grus rubicunda) of north eastern Australia, noted for its graceful courtship dances.
Currawong :
A large black bird (Strepera graculina) of eastern Australia, with an attractive call including the sounds "curra – wong".
Friar Bird :
A large brown honeyeater(Philemon corniculatis & spp), of eastern Australia, with the head bare of feathers, to allow access deep into flowers.
Lorikeet :
Any of a number of small, arboreal parrots found in different parts of Australia.
Orana :
Aboriginal word for dawn ... or, in this sense, greetings or perhaps welcome!.
So next Thursday you can imagine me calling Orana to you all on Christmas Day

2 comments:

Dianne said...

the counter for St. Paddy's Day just killed me! I'm still laughing

I stopped by from FranIAm and I'm glad I did

very pretty and interesting stuff going on here

Orana!

Brian R said...

Orana to you Dianne, Thanks for stopping by.