Tuesday, December 02, 2008

More on Opera House (musings)

The Opera House was opened in October, 1973. I went to the city that day but was more interested in taking photos of my idol, the Queen. I ran several kilometres through the city snapping photos of her ( I was not yet 30). I was very busy preparing for my long planned world tour at the time. I left in May 1974 intending to take 9 months touring Asia and Europe and flew first to Bangkok. Americans I met were continually asking me about the Opera house and surprised that I had never been inside. Sadly my father died 3 days into my 9 months trip and I flew home. After seeing Mum settled I left again at the end of June now intending 6 months (but it only lasted 4). I thought I should attend a performance at the Opera House. They were playing Macbeth. I studied Macbeth for my final school exams which meant spending the whole year going through it line by line. By that time I hated Macbeth (the years have mellowed and I can now enjoy it again). I left at interval but now I had visited the Opera House. As I have said I cannot count the number of visits (mainly operas and symphonies not shakespeare) in the years since. And in March 2006, I sat on the steps to again see the Queen (sadly probably for the last time).

2 comments:

Fran said...

Wow! I have certainly learned so much about the opera house in these 2 days- between your post and the post that Mountjoy put up on my blog.

Mountjoy said...

It's funny how time fades memories: reading this post, I have only now remembered that I actually performed at the Concert Hall of the Opera House in 1979 - albiet as part of a group of 300 or so in a schoolchildren's combined choir when I was 12...