Friday, October 24, 2008

Manly Ferry

Yesterday I went to my final session on Preparing for Easter. We studied liturgies for Easter itself. One person told us that a typical Sydney evangelical had told her Holy Communion was just an interruption to the preaching of the Word!!!!!

Beforehand I saw the film 'The Duchess' with my sister. Showed how women were treated in those days. I guess the church of the time approved of such treatment.

After a late lunch with my sister I still had 3 hours to kill so being a very windy day and having heard the seas were big I decided to catch the ferry to Manly and back. One usually goes to Manly on fine pleasant days. Being a senior and having already bought my day ticket to go to the city, the trip was free.

It was great fun. Probably not quite as big as shown in this video I found on Youtube taken last June but it gives you some idea, we did have one wave crashing to the top deck as seen in the video. I have travelled across often but never before has there been a recorded announcement to stay seated and hold on while crossing the Heads. I did not sit outside as I usually do.



In case you are considering visiting, the trip is wonderful on a sunny day and usually no more than a gentle rock.

4 comments:

June Butler said...

Brian love, thanks, but no thanks. I'll wait for the sunny day crossing. Grandpère would probably find it quite exciting.

One person told us that a typical Sydney evangelical had told her Holy Communion was just an interruption to the preaching of the Word!!!!!

The Word is a person, not a book, in my humble opinion. Of course, I could be wrong.

Brian R said...

We have the same opinion about 'The Word'
Now if you visited I could take Grandpere one day and you another. However, fortunately for tourists, the rough days are few and far between.

Davis said...

Good Grief that was a rough crossing. Mother always said to hang on while passing the Heads. I don't recall anything like this!

Even so it's a lovely memory you've brought back to me. Thanks Brian!

As for that evo person - the Anglo-Catholic rejoinder is: "The Bible? Yes I believe there are bits - in the missal... as I recall" !

Brian R said...

Glad it brought lovely memories, Davis. Even after more than 60 years living in Sydney I still have a frission of excitement when setting off on a trip to Manly although usually nothing like this.
Being a late convert to Anglo-catholicism I have to learn a lot.