Saturday, September 21, 2013

Travelling Further North (and to the East)

In the afternoon of Day 4 I headed into new territory towards East Cape.

I passed through Wairoa and spent the night in Gisborne.











Day 5 I drove 360 km right around East Cape through Tolaga Bay with the longest wharf in New Zealand.












Then to Tokamaru Bay with a reminder that Spring was upon us.







I visted the delightful Maori Anglican church at Tiki Tiki. This area is largely settled by Maori and was one of the first areas reached by the early Maori when they sailed to New Zealand.








Te  Araroa is the most easterly point of New Zealand I am likely to visit. From here a 20 km gravel road leads along the ocean edge to East Cape Lighthouse. The oldest and largest Pohutakawa tree is in the school grounds. I must return in November/December when the Pohutakawa are in full flower.







The scenery was great all the way to my overnight stop in Opotiki.













No comments: