Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Archbishop Tutu apologises for persecution of gays over Manchester airwaves

Archbishop Desmond Tutu, arguably one of the most respected and recognizable members of the Christian Church, has apologised about his religion’s treatment of gay people in an exclusive BBC Radio Manchester interview.
The programme, broadcast last night but still available over the net, tracked Tutu down to his Cape Town home to get his thoughts on why he believes the church is “obsessed” with homosexuality.

In response he apologised directly to Byrne, stating: “I want to apologise to you and all those who we in the church have persecuted.

“I’m sorry that we have been part of the persecution of a particular group. For me that is quite un-Christ like and, for that reason, it is unacceptable.”

He added: “May be even as a retired Archbishop I probably have, to some extent, a kind of authority but apart from anything let me say for myself and anyone who might want to align themselves with me, I’m sorry.

“I’m sorry for the hurt, for the rejection, for the anguish that we have caused to such as yourselves.”

The programme can be heard online via the ‘listen again’ function atwww.bbc.co.uk/radio and will shortly be available, in full, at www.canal-st.co.uk.

This wonderful man has nothing to personally apologize for, he is a true saint.

No comments: